Please contact me for a more detailed resume or visit my Linked In profile.
October 2020 – July 2021 | Private
- Wrote a 170-page business spec for an on-line retailer and logistics firm so that software development can take place efficiently, and that management can be confident that the delivered product will transform the company. As part of that effort, I documented current practices in the operations and customer service departments and ensured newly formed IT department scaled quickly to match the firm’s growth.
Product Owner and Technical Writer
August 2017 – 2021 | Consulting partnership
- Wrote procedures and technical documentation for a telephone customer support department. This standardized processes and made training new agents faster. I also documented manufacturing processes so operational efficiencies were realized and training could be standardized.
- Delivered HR services and HR policy manuals so employee expectations were clear.
- Delivered a 40,000-word wiki for a US social media firm.
- Oversaw responses to requests for proposals.
- Management coaching.
- Wrote gap analysis for engineering software to guide development.
- Deployed customer relationship management systems to a variety of clients.
- Wrote extensive procedures documentation for international logistics companies.
Senior Consulting Technical Writer
2018 – June 2019 | Ayuda Media Systems
Ayuda media systems sells a leading digital and static advertising enterprise resource planner.
- New 80,000- word knowledge base. Deliverables included an information portal, product communications and a company dictionary that standardized nomenclature.
- I also delivered technical marketing, white papers, user personas and more than 100 golden paths. The impact was that multiple departments in offices around the world had a shared understanding of who the users were and how they interacted with each other. The value was that consistent best practices can be recommended by sales, support and account managers.
- Prototyped user interfaces for new and updates to existing features. I worked with product owners and developers to ensure that feature portfolio goals were met and unintended impacts minimized.
- Identified gaps in a poorly differentiated product by mapping customer business processes.
Senior Business and Product Analyst
December 2015 – August 2017 | Asset Science
Asset Science is a leading designer and provider testing and diagnostic software tools for wireless mobile device production lines.
- Led the creation of new role-based dashboards for executives, factory managers and team leaders, reports, and developed innovative industry metrics. The result was an expansive but practical product vision that improved investor confidence and reassured existing customers that the company had a coherent vision of the market, customer needs and the product’s future.
- Authored and co-authored technical documentation that improved clarity, communication and processes; instituted a new CRM, oversaw the product team’s daily activities, created new marketing and branding for the re-energized company.
Senior Technical Writer
March 2015 – October 2015 |The Armored Group
- Consulting mandate for documenting the retrofitting of armoured vehicles.
Business and Product Analyst
October 2014 – March 2015| Private Investment Firm
Product owner for a business startup for the US medical market.
- I delivered extensive competitive intelligence to obtain transparency into competing and allied clinical entities; recommended patent/Intellectual property opportunities and proposed their revenue model.
From 2013 to 1995
Product Development and Education Manager
June 2012 – April 2013|Freightopolis
Documentation for a SAAS firm offering international logistics freight services to carriers and manufacturers.
Senior Content Developer
January 2011 – January 2012 | Ryma Technology Solutions
Ryma provided product management consulting services and software to public companies. I authored their support documentation.
Senior Technical Writer
November 2008 – February 2010 | MEI CPG
MEI developed financial software for manufacturers and brokers in the consumer package goods industry for the UK, the United States and Canada. I started their middleware and API documentation from scratch.
Senior Technical Writer
February 2006 – July 2008 | Mecanica Solutions
Mecanica Solutions provides engineering services and product life cycle management software to automotive and aviation manufacturers, and Formula 1 racing in Europe and North America. My documentation included PLM products and aviation software.
Technical Writer and Creative Lead
July 2003 – February 2006 | Beginfinite
Beginfinite was a developer of anti-spam and anti-virus software for Novell, RIM and other messaging products. I documented their network level security and messaging products.
April 2001 – June 2003| Various
Created a wide range of exciting and interesting material for clients in diverse industries.
Editor and Policy Analyst
October 1998 – April 2001 | IC Axon
Developer of multimedia courseware, physician and pharmaceutical sales materials, and medical software in Europe and North America.
June1995 – October 1998 | Various
Journalist at regional weeklies in the Ottawa Valley, northern Ontario and Québec.
- A., Journalism and Philosophy, double major with a minor in the History of Science Concordia University.
- E.C, Creative Arts Vanier College
- Software: Microsoft Office, project management software such as MS Project and Basecamp, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, DreamWeaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat), Lightroom/Nikon NX Capture, CRMs (Zoho, Hubspot, Salesforce) web server log analysis, the Atlassian suite of products, Madcap Flare/Robohelp, Captivate, Camtasia, wikis, WordPress, FrameMaker and teamshare systems such as Sharepoint/Confluence, MEI Troubadour, Salesforce, PLM360 product suite, bug/issue tracking software, feature planning/change request software (Jira/VersionOne), XML authoring tools, network security and monitoring software such as GWAVA and others, courseware systems such as Chalk and HotLava, vaulting and versioning products such as GIT and Subversion
- Platforms: Macintosh, *nix, Windows
- Product and industrial photography, portrait photography, news photography
- Multimedia production, audio-visual script writing, storyboarding, narration, audio, post-processing audio and video transcoding
- Pre-press including wide format printing
- Graphic design