Please contact me for a more detailed resume or visit my Linked In profile.
Senior Technical Author and Product Strategist
Sept 2017 – Present | Consultancy
Serving enterprise software product companies including logistics companies, on-line retailers, advertising enterprise resource planners, manufacturers, real estate and software companies in Canada and the US.
- Created user education materials including courseware, user manuals, glossaries, standard operating procedures for manufacturing procedures, and tutorials for a variety of companies including enterprise resource planning, logistics and financial document manufacturer. Improved customer satisfaction and lower support costs resulted.
- Other deliverables included: white papers, a learning portal, release notes, new feature announcements, technical marketing, video scripts and press releases. The results have been improved sales and clear communication with clients and the marketplace.
- Writing, designing and producing marketing pamphlets, folders, web sites, business cards on time and on budget. These proved effective in bringing in new clients quickly and effectively in concert with the implementation of customer relationship management software.
- Documenting business processes so operational efficiencies were realized and training could be standardized. This made hiring, training and evaluating new employees faster.
- Workshopped user personas for product teams so that roles and functions could be understood by distributed development teams. Improved communication resulted.
- Delivered HR services including writing job ads, reviewing resumes, and the creation of HR policy manuals so employee expectations were clear.
- Lead the creation of business specs for feature development. This includes visual prototypes and extensive design specs. The impact has a clear, cost effective development process, no re-work and customers delighted with valuable features. These were also designed with an eye to market differentiation. Examples of new business specs include: dashboards for executive insight, sales team management, inventory, logistics, finances and customer fulfillment and logistics.
- Created a documentation vault and team share for a major lawsuit to organize documents spanning 35 years. The result was that lawyers from multiple firms can communicate coherently and quickly.
- Planned and Implemented customer relationship management software for multiple clients.
- Presented at the Knowledge in an Interdisciplinary Society conference held by the London Centre for Interdisciplinary Knowledge at the University of London (Birkbeck).
Technical Author / Senior Business and Product Analyst
December 2015 – August 2017 | Asset Science
Asset Science is a leading designer and provider of testing and diagnostic software tools for wireless mobile device production lines.
- Authored and co-authored technical documentation that improved clarity, communication and processes; instituted a new CRM
- Oversaw the product team’s daily activities, created new marketing and branding materials including web site, sales and marketing collateral and multimedia. I also led the creation of business specs for a wide range of new highly differentiated products that were capable of adding new revenues.
- I designed new role-based dashboards and reports for executives, factory managers and team leaders. I also innovated industry metrics. The result was an expansive but practical product vision that improved investor confidence and reassured existing customers that the company had a coherent vision of the market, customer needs and the product’s future.
Consulting Technical Writer
March 2015 – October 2015 | The Armored Group
- Consulting mandate for documenting the retrofitting of armoured trucks. More than four thousand photographs were taken to document the rebuilding the interiors, electronics and security systems of cash carrying vehicles. The result was that every step could be replicated at different plants.
Business and Product Analyst
October 2014 – March 2015 | Private Investment Firm
Product planner for a business startup for the US medical market.
- Competitive intelligence to obtain transparency into competing and allied clinical entities.
- Patent/Intellectual property pathway analysis.
- Revenue model development and product design.
Product Development and Education Manager
June 2012 – April 2013 | Freightopolis
Documentation consultant for a SAAS start-up that began offering international logistics freight services to carriers and manufacturers. I managed their user education department and was the principle technical writer.
- Design and requirements scoping to ensure ease of use to ensure investment in new features would match market demand.
- Wrote courseware, study guides and certification exams that slashed a new hire termination rate from 50 per cent to zero in one quarter.
- Scoped, designed and wrote user documentation.
From 2012 to 1995
Senior Content Developer
January 2011 – January 2012 | Ryma Technology Solutions
Ryma provided product management consulting services and software to public companies where I authored and co-authored their user education and support documentation.
Senior Technical Writer
November 2008 – February 2010 | MEI CPG
MEI developed financial software for manufacturers and brokers in the consumer package goods industry for the UK, the United States and Canada.
Senior Technical Writer
February 2006 – July 2008 | Mecanica Solutions
Mecanica Solutions provides engineering services and product life cycle software to automotive and aviation manufacturers and Formula 1 racing.
Technical Writer and Creative Lead
July 2003 – February 2006 | Beginfinite
Beginfinite was a developer of anti-spam and anti-virus software for Novell, RIM and other messaging products.
- Editor and Policy Analyst
- A., Journalism and Philosophy, double major with a minor in the History of Science Concordia University.
- E.C, Creative Arts Vanier College
- Software: Microsoft Office, project management software such as MS Project and Basecamp, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, DreamWeaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat), Lightroom/Nikon NX Capture, CRMs (Zoho, Hubspot, Salesforce) web server log analysis, the Atlassian suite of products, Madcap Flare/Robohelp, Captivate, Camtasia, wikis, WordPress, FrameMaker and teamshare systems such as Sharepoint/Confluence, MEI Troubadour, Salesforce, PLM360 product suite, bug/issue tracking software, feature planning/change request software (Jira/VersionOne), XML authoring tools, network security and monitoring software such as GWAVA and others, courseware systems such as Chalk and HotLava, vaulting and versioning products such as GIT and Subversion
- Platforms: Macintosh, *nix, Windows
- Product and industrial photography, portrait photography, news photography
- Multimedia production, audio-visual script writing, storyboarding, narration, audio, post-processing audio and video transcoding
- Pre-press including wide format printing
- Graphic design